Spaying and neutering your pets can make them easier to live with, but, like any medical procedure, there can be side effects. It is best to discuss these issues with your veterinarian and come to an informed decision.
The National Animal Interest Alliance has some good information on the long term effects of spaying and neutering. So does the Cat Fanciers Association. Ultimately, you are the only one that knows what is best for your pet.
If you do decide to spay or neuter your pet, New Hampshire pet owners are lucky – they have several options for low-cost spaying and neutering.
The New Hampshire Pet Overpopulation Program (paid for by a surcharge on dog licenses) is available to dog or cat owners who meet one of the following criteria:
- The Food Stamp Program
- The Supplemental Security Income Program
- The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Act
- The aid to the needy blind program
- The medicaid program
- The old age assistance program
- The aid to the permanently and totally disabled program
If you qualify, you can have your cat or dog “fixed” for $25.00 For more information, contact the N.H. Department of Agriculture at 603-271-3697.
If you don’t qualify for the state’s fund, there may still be help available.
The following is a partial list of low-cost pet spay and neuter resources:
- Animal Allies (800) 990-7729 (from New Hampshire telephones), (603) 228-6755 (from phones in other states).
- N.H. Spaying & Altering Service: (603) 224-1361 (before 2 P.M. each day)
- Cheshire County – Monadnock Humane Society – Spay ASAP Clinics (cats)
- Laconia – NH Humane Society – Snap Program
- Littleton – Above the Notch Humane Society – Spay/neuter clinics
- Manchester – Manchester Animal Shelter – Quick Fix and Fix-a-Pit programs
- Merrimack Valley/Rockingham County – Salem Animal Rescue League No excuse clinics – For more information call (978)374-7233.
- Nashua – All Pets Veterinary Hospital
- Salem – Feline Friends NH
- Tamworth – Rozzie May Animal Alliance -Spay/neuter clinics
- Winchester – Cat OverPopulation Solution – 603-239-3133